Code Enforcement - Sign Code Information
Signs placed within the City are regulated by the Sign Ordinance which is also enforced by the Code Enforcement Division. Permits are issued for both temporary and permanent signs for businesses in the City. Staff members remove illegally posted signs to help keep the City"s roadways beautiful and uncluttered.
In keeping with the community"s desire to improve the scenic landscape of our City, the Gladstone Community Development Corporation is offering loans of up to $15,000.00 for a term of up to 5 years for improvements such as signage upgrades, landscaping, facade improvements and parking lot repairs.
The latest updates to the Gladstone Sign Ordinance was adopted in May 2009 includes landscaping around ground or monument signs and new regulations on electronic message center or changeable message signs. Click on Sign Updates to view changes. Feel free to call our office at 816-436-2200 or click here if you have further questions.
Temporary Sign Permit Application
Permanent Sign Permit Application
Do I need a permit to replace or erect a new sign?
A new business or change of ownership requires a permit for a replacement sign. If the ownership is staying the same, and the size of the sign remains the same no permit is necessary.
What do I need to submit in order to receive a permit?
* Dimensions of the sign and the size of the building face (wall).
* Dimensions of the sign and landscape plan (monument).
* Photo showing sign on building face.
* Completed Sign Permit Application. (some signs also require an Electrical Permit)
What are the regulations for wall signs?
* The maximum size is 15% of the wall dimension or 120 square feet, whichever is less.
* Sign cannot project above the top of the wall more than 25% of the sign's height.
What are the regulations for monument signs?
* The maximum size is 50 square feet and cannot be taller than 7 feet (including supporting structures).
* Only one monument sign allowed per platted lot. (exception: multiple bldgs. on a platted lot- see Code)
* All ground signs must be constructed of 30% natural materials.
* Landscaping requirements: New development- 240 sq. ft.; Re-development- 150 sq. ft.
Process for Permanent Signage
1. Submit application with attachments.
2. Pay the sign review fee: Commercial New, $200.00; Replacement, $100.00. 3. Plan review by Community Development (7-10 days)
4. Our office will contact you to pick up permit when review is finished.
5. Applicant obtains permit when fee is paid.
6. If sign is erected prior to payment of permit, fee will be doubled.
7. If the permanent sign doesn't adhere to these regulations a request for a sign variance may be filed. ($200 fee). The variance request will be presented to the City Council at the next available meeting for their consideration.
What else do I need to know?
* All signs must be located outside of easements and on private property.
* Electronic message signs are allowed (see section Sec. 9.1600.100 (b)(3) for further explanation)
* Signs may be illuminated however, cannot create a nuisance to neighboring properties or passing motor vehicles.
* Temporary signage is defined as any sign not permanently attached to a structure and can be easily removed.
* A business is allowed 6 temporary sign permits each calendar year.
* Each permit is issued for 10 days at a time for a fee of $50. Two permits can be issued together for 20 days/$100.
* A 14 day break between permits is required.
* New businesses are allowed one free 10 day permit.
Temporary Sign Placement
* Temporary signs are not to be placed within 15' of any vehicle access point (drive) to a public street.
* A permit allows only one sign to be displayed.
* Signs must be placed 10' back from the back of curb (or street if no curb).
* Size of sign will not exceed 32 square feet.
* Shopping centers are only allowed one temporary sign at a time.
* No temporary signs may extend above the roof.
* Remove signs when permit expires
Feel free to call our office at 816-423-4111 or click here if you have further questions.