Employee Complaint Procedure|
The public has a right to expect efficient, fair, and impartial treatment from every member of the Gladstone Police Department; it is essential to the safety of our community that the relationship between Department members and citizens is built on confidence and trust. The Department acknowledges that, at certain times, conflicts between citizens and agency employees can arise. It is the desire of the Department to fully investigate any and all complaints of misconduct.
The complaint process is designed to deal with each case factually and fairly. Citizens who file complaints are treated respectfully, and their accusations are taken seriously. All complaints are investigated thoroughly, and all findings are based on impartial evidence gained during the investigation.
* Complaints are accepted from any source, including in person, by mail, by telephone, or via electronic media.
* Any member of the Department may receive a complaint.
* All complaints received are documented and forwarded to the Chief of Police.
* Complainants are requested to make a written statement of the alleged misconduct.
* Anonymous allegation(s) of misconduct, whether verbal or written, against the agency or its employees will be investigated.
* Complainants may contact the Office of the Chief of Police at (816) 423-4021 to request the findings and disposition of the investigation.
Complainants who have current criminal or traffic charges pending should be aware that the internal review process deals solely with department policy and the conduct of agency employees. Regardless of the outcome of an internal investigation, existing criminal or traffic charges must be dealt with through the proper courts.
Your valid concerns help us protect the community from possible misconduct by employees. At the same time, a thorough and impartial investigation procedure helps protect employees from unwarranted charges when they perform their duties properly.