ShedsDo I need a permit to add or replace a shed or storage building?
Yes. A permit is needed to add or replace an existing shed, storage building or other accessory structure regardless of the size.
What do I need to submit in order to receive a permit?
* Plot plan drawn to scale that shows property lines and dimensions, existing buildings and structures, the size and location of the proposed structure, setbacks from property lines, utility easements and right-of-way.
* Completed building permit application.
* Building plan or manufacturer product data sheet. Additional information may be required by the Building Inspector.
* Any additional information required to clarify your application. Proof of ownership (if recently purchased).
* The building permit fee (due at the time the permit is issued) is accepted in the form of a check, cash, or credit/debit card (no American Express)
How large can my shed be?
* The maximum size is 10% of the square footage of the house (footprint).
* Example: 1,500 sq ft house = 150 sf building.
* The maximum height is 15' from floor to peak.
* The total coverage of all structures on the property must not exceed 30%.
What are the setback requirements?
The setback minimums are depicted in this drawing: 9' from the rear and side and 10' from the primary structure. It must also be 20' from any neighbor 's house.
Are there any additional regulations?
* Only ONE detached building per lot.
* The color and roof pitch must match the home.
* Structures over 200 sq ft require a footing and foundation.
* Completed land disturbance permit if the proposed structure is over 200 square feet. ($500 deposit)
An accurate hand drawing is normally acceptable. A diagram of your property can be found on the County's website at: www.claycogov.com in the Assessor's Department. The City does not keep surveys on file.
What are easements?
The City of Gladstone and the utility companies may have easements that are within your property lines. Easements are a right given to an entity to enter upon land that they do not own. Almost every home has an easement. It is important to look for easements in public records because a property owner cannot build permanent or temporary structures on top of easements.
What if my project doesn't adhere to these regulations?
A request for a variance may be filed with the Board of Zoning Adjustment ($200 filing fee, non-refundable). This Board may allow a variance if practical difficulties or unnecessary hardships are evident.
What International Building Codes have been adopted by the City?
The City of Gladstone is currently operating under the ICC 2015 Construction Code Series and the 2014 National Electric Code. These code books are kept on file in Community Development for viewing.
How much is a building permit?
The fee for a building permit is based on the value (or cost) of the proposed structure you are building.
Feel free to call our office at 816-423-4111 or click here if you have further questions.